Stockholm (NordSIP) – The UN Principles for Responsible Investment has issued a Blueprint for Responsible Investment to be enacted over the next 10-year period, according to a press release issued Monday (May 22).
The agenda detailed in the Blueprint aims to:
- Address remaining barriers to responsible investment by addressing sustainability challenges such as climate change;
- Strengthen signatory accountability and build a more sustainable financial system through new measures.
“The PRI’s Mission is to achieve a sustainable global financial system focused on creating long-term value,” said Fiona Reynolds, PRI managing director. “This is because we believe that such a system will not only reward its users financially, but also benefit the environment and society as a whole. This Blueprint lays out how our core work supporting signatories implementing the Principles will lead to that goal. Now is the time for action. We’re ready, our signatories are ready and the world’s people deserve a response.”
The Blueprint lays out three areas of impact it will focus on over the next decade:
- To lead responsible investors in the pursuit of long-term value and enhance alignment throughout the investment chain;
- To address unsustainable aspects of markets in which investors currently operate;
- To encourage investments contributing to prosperous and inclusive societies for current and future generations.
“The vision set out in this Blueprint will ultimately empower our signatories to create long-term value for their beneficiaries, for the societies they inhabit and that future generations inherit,” said PRI chair Martin Skancke.
The nine priority areas for the next ten years outlined in the Blueprint are:
- To empower asset owners;
- To support investors with the incorporation of ESG issues into their investments;
- To fostering a community of active owners;
- To showcase leadership and increasing accountability;
- To convene and educate responsible investors;
- To challenge barriers to a sustainable financial system;
- To drive meaningful data throughout markets;
- To champion climate action;
- To enable real-world impact aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Blueprint represents the next step in building upon what has already been achieved by the PRI as the global voice and arbiter of responsible investment.