The tidal wave of sustainable finance regulations is sweeping over Europe. Will it succeed in washing off the fresh coats of green veneer to reveal the true colours underneath? Or will it drown aspiring responsible investors and companies in a grey mud of bureaucratic and convoluted rules obfuscating the true meaning of sustainability? Are the ever-tougher disclosure requirements helping to accelerate the transition towards a greener and fairer world or scaring off even well-meaning financial actors into a hushed silence?
It is high time to re-examine the current state of the European sustainable regulatory landscape. To help us untangle that increasingly complex puzzle, in this edition of NordSIP Insights, we talk to some true experts in the field, including those designing the frameworks and those tasked with enforcing them.
The PRI provides insights into the challenges of implementing the EU Taxonomy. Meanwhile, checking on a revamped Platform on Sustainable Finance, we learn how both veterans and new members intend to make this ambitious framework easier to use.
As SFDR has entered its second intense phase, we waddle through a ton of grey legal mass to provide a summary of the latest developments around the Regulatory Technical Standards and other useful details. We also let MSCI guide us through the climate regulatory trends worth watching in the year ahead.
Catching up with the Nordic FSAs reveals changing priorities and diverging approaches to ensure that the EU regulations are enacted correctly in the region. To get a slightly different perspective, we take a detour to look at the parallel work done by their colleagues in the UK.
Last but not least, greenwashing being currently on everybody’s mind, we can’t resist checking the score, so far, of the giant battle afoot: European regulators vs greenwashers.
Tired of flipping the book? Access individual articles or download the pdf here
1. the editor’s word: row, row, row your boat…
2. The EU Taxonomy Focus on Usability and Simplification, an interview of Fabiola Schneider, Dublin City University and Marie Baumgarts, KPMG
3. Nordic FSAs Focus on SFDR Reviews and Anti-Greenwashing, an interview with Johanna Fager Wettergren.
4. Will the UK SDR Resolve Product Labelling Dilemma? by Richard Tyszkiewicz
5. EU vs Greenwashers: a Recap, by Julia Axelsson, CAIA
6. ESG and Climate Regulatory Trends to Watch for in 2023 a summary of MSCI ESG Research
7. Addressing EU Taxonomy Usability Issues a summary of the UN PRI Research
8. SFDR Update – Harmonisation & Working out the (Technical) Details, by Filipe Albuquerque
Tired of flipping the book? Access individual articles or download the pdf here!